Sunday, April 14, 2013

Teeny Weeny Turkey Panini

Teeny Weeny Turkey Panini
You know "panini" is plural, right?  So don't say, "paninis."  Or FOR GOD'S SAKE, "panini's."  I will hunt you down.  The singular is "panino," though I will forgive you if you don't say that because it does sound pretentious.

So as I was prepping to make this recipe, I grabbed a bag of pre-washed arugula out of the fridge ... and it felt ... crunchy.  And hard.  And compact.  When I opened it, I saw frost.  Upon investigation, I discovered someone had turned up the setting on my fridge to "max."  If it wasn't freezer-cold, it was damn close.

So I left the arugula out, which probably pleased the kids -- hey, that could have been a mastermind scheme to not have to eat arugula, now that I think of it.

I love this recipe.  More prep, less cooking.  Thirty minutes, max.

Smoked Turkey Club Panini
serves 4
Adapted from Cook's Country, June/July 2010

8 slices bacon
1/3 c sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, rinsed, patted dry, and minced, plus 2 T sun-dried tomato oil
1/3 c mayonnaise
8 slices thick-cut crusty bread*
1/2 lb thin sliced deli Swiss cheese
1/2 lb thin sliced deli smoked turkey
2 c baby arugula
Sundried tomato mayo next to oil.
1. Arrange bacon in a single layer on a paper towel-lined plate.  Cover with paper towels and microwave until crisp, about 5 minutes.  Combine sun-dried tomatoes with mayonnaise in a small bowl.

2.  Brush sun-dried tomato oil over 1 side of bread.  Place bread, oil side down, on the cutting board.  Spread each slice with flavored mayonnaise.  Layer half of cheese on 4 slices of bread, then top with turkey, bacon, arugula, and remaining cheese.  Top with remaining bread, oil side up.


Assembled3.  Heat grill pan or non-stick skillet over medium heat for one minute.  Place 2 sandwiches in pan and weight with Dutch oven or cast iron skillet.  (Cover bottom of oven or skillet with aluminum foil.  You'll thank me later.)  Cook sandwiches until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes per side.  Repeat with remaining sandwiches.  Serve.

*I made tiny sandwiches because the kids love that.  I took a half loaf of Parisian bread and sliced it into 1/2" slices, which made six tiny sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment